Re: anti-misting additive for jet fuel to avoid explosion in crashes

From:         jetbldr@jetbldr.seanet.com (Keith Howie)
Date:         27 Apr 95 03:00:28

In article <airliners.1995.443@ohare.Chicago.COM> pbecker@well.sf.ca.us (Peter Becker) writes:

>As I recall, the anti-misting compound experiment was at least partially
>successful technically, but, because of the crash test, a public rela-
>tions disaster.  Turns out the additive reduced the temperature of the
>resulting fire several hundred degrees, increasing significantly the
>time required for the fire to invade the cabin.

>The pictures from the interior of the plane were impressive, in that
>the resulting flames took several minutes to invade the cabin instead
>of the usual 45-70 seconds.

You are confusing two separate things. The PBS documentary that I mentioned in
an earlier post did have a segment dealing with the progression of a fire
inside a passenger cabin following a crash and how the use of certain
materials could slow down the spread of the fire.  There was some pretty
spectacular footage of a staged fire inside the cabin of a jetliner.  However,
this was not the 720 crash that was staged to test the effectiveness of the
anti-misting compound. In that case, there was no interior left to photograph
a few seconds after the plane's wingtip first grazed the ground.