Re: Loss of an engine

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         03 Jan 95 01:40:39

In article <airliners.1994.1799@ohare.Chicago.COM> eph72385@Rosie.UH.EDU writes:
>I am curious how a crew, most notably the pilots, could not
>notice the loss of an engine in flight.

What exactly are you referring to?  Of course an engine failure would be
noticed.

If you're referring to the media's propensity to report pilots' inability to
determine whether a tail-mounted engine is attached or not, the checklist
items for engine fire, failure, severe damage, and separation are the same.
All that matters is that there is an engine failure.

Once the severity of the damage has been established (i.e., not
a fire), it's not operationally relevant whether it's attached.
It's then up to captain's judgement and operational policy whether to divert
to the nearest suitable airport or continue to destination.

rdd@netcom.com                         aero-simulation@rascal.ics.utexas.edu