Re: Booster engines

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         16 Jan 95 21:39:08

In article <airliners.1995.15@ohare.Chicago.COM> bob_wohlsen@qm.sri.com (wohlsen) writes:
>In the '60s, Hawker Siddeley produced a stretched version of the 3-engined
>Trident that employed a 4th "boost" engine for take-offs.  Was this the
>only example of a boost engine being used on a commercial jet airliner?

I worked on a boeing 727 which was built with JATO rockets installed. I don't
know who owned the aircraft before they were removed but it is now owned By
Royal Airlines out of Montreal Canada. The airframe has several reinforcements
that were apparently installed by Boeing at the factory (although I'm not
positive) I would love to see a 727 do a jato assisted takeoff.
If any oone has any positive information or even a picture i would love to
hear or see it.
Brad
AME, A&P