Re: Underfloor Lounge in PSA L1011's?

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:52

sthomson@MO.NET (Steven G. Thomson) wrote:
>I took some photos of a pair of Worldways Canada L1011's in Toronto a few
>years back. These aircraft were both ex-PSA, and had been stored in the
>desert for quite some time. Visible in my photos, just behind the nose
>gear, was a large bulge in the fuselage.
>
>I had read somewhere that PSA had intended to operate the aircraft on a
>LAX/SFO shuttle service, during the mid seventies. They had their three
>aircraft fitted with a lounge, situated below the main deck, aft of the
>nose gear.

PSA did use the aircraft on the Sandiego LA SFO route THe passangers
actuall entered through the "lounge" VIA built in airstairs. The Worldways
aircraft had the "Canoe" removed while in service. The other aircraft
is in use by LTU in germany. The stairs and "Canoe" have been removed
as well. There were only 3(?) built in this configuration.
I worked with the director of maintenance for worldways Recently  and
got the whole story from him.

BTW- are they still in the desert and are they still for sale.

--
Brad Gillies    Bradg@io.org
http://www.io.org/~bradg/