Re: Underfloor Lounges or Rooms in which Aircrafts?

From:         geohull@ditell.com (George Hull)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:51

In article <airliners.1995.382@ohare.Chicago.COM>, mrw13@columbia.edu
(Marc Richard Wollemborg) wrote:

> Which commercial jetliners have either a lounge or some sort of non-baggage
> room located below the main cabin (perhaps for the crew to use in meal
> preparation)?  And for those planes which do have them, any comments on
> how they are accessed in flight, their location, size, etc.

The DC-10s that we operated at Western Airlines had a galley under the
first class compartment, just forward of the forward baggage pit.  The
flight attendant who worked there in flight used a small passenger
elevator and a smaller cart elevator to get him/herself and the meal carts
to and from the galley.  It was also possible to get into the galley
through a door into the forward baggage compartment (which held
containers, not floor-loaded luggage and freight) and I recall a small
door in the first class floor which could be used in an emergency.  The
lower galley was not to be occupied during takeoff and landing.

George