Re: Underfloor Lounges or Rooms in which Aircrafts?

From:         ehahn@bass.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:51

In article <airliners.1995.383@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

   There was some talk a while back about a below-deck crew rest area on
   the A340 -- apparently Air France dropped their use because they were
   being used for, um, non-restful activities!  :-)  Presumably this is
   also an optional feature for the A330, though I can't say for sure.  I
   have no idea how one reaches this area.

=====
I have seen this crew rest area on a Lufthansa A340.  It is basically
built into a cargo pallet, and is accessed by a stair, located just
aft of the wing (if my memory isn't failing me).  The stairwell has a
door on it similar to one on lavatories, but without "occupied" signs.
:-)  The stair itself is steep, more like a ladder that you find on
boats and ships (cargo/military ships, that is).

The flight crew also has access to a couple of bunks just aft of the
flight deck, inside the cockpit.  These are on the main deck, though.

My $0.02,
ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------