Re: Underfloor Lounges or Rooms in which Aircrafts?

From:         petercoe@netcom.com (Peter J. Coe)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:50

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>>Which commercial jetliners have either a lounge or some sort of non-baggage
>>room located below the main cabin (perhaps for the crew to use in meal
>>preparation)?  And for those planes which do have them, any comments on
>>how they are accessed in flight, their location, size, etc.

>There are the three L-1011s built for PSA, the focus of a lot of
>discussion in the group currently, which were equipped with a lower
>lounge where the forward cargo hold might otherwise be.  I assume
>they were accessed by stairs, not unlike the upper lounge (now upper
>cabin) on the 747.

With the exception of the Tristar 500, all Tristars were delivered with
an underfloor galley.  Access was through two elevators, and was of course
restricted to crew only.  Their size was about 20 foot long, and the full
width of the plane, with the food trolleys arranged around three sides of the
cabin.  The fourth side was towards the front of the plane, and had the two
elevators, and access doors to the plane's electronics.

Those galleys were really spacious, but I have to wonder just how useful
they really were.  British Airways apparently thought the same, and they
removed them and replaced them with extra cargo space.  You might think that
this would have drastically reduced passenger capacity, but it didn't.  After
removing the elevators and (of course) reducing the seat pitch, they actually
increased the number of passengers, and the amount of cargo they could hold.

Why am I still a frequent flyer on that airline?