Re: [Q] normal practice if an engine fail @ t.o.?

From:         bradg@nudge.io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         16 Jan 95 21:39:08

garylapook@delphi.com wrote:
: Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia.org> writes:

: >I have no doubt that the B747 can safely fly with three engines.
: >However, what is the usual practice if a pilot experiences an engine
: >failure at take-off on a four-engined aircraft?  I would think many

: I don't know what the law is in Australia, but in the U.S. the FAA
: would bust a pilot for this, and have. They take the position that
: when an aircraft no longer meets its type certification, such as having
: many motors, that the aircraft is no longer airworthy.

AS far as I know about operations An engine failure in flight is not
really a problem on large aircraft as the 747.  The aircraft can
continue enroute to its destination without penalty ( except fuel and
altitude).
However.. If the failure occurs on takeoff (following VR) The pilot
would probably cancel the bell and continue the climbout (if  the
failure is not catastrophic). the failure/fire would then be dealt with
after the cruiitical phase of the climbout.  With no noticable
degradation in performance( as far as the pax know).
I personally have been on flights that have had engine outs( even at
T/O) and the flights continued without incident, except the one ast T/O
we returned to the airport of departure, no emergency no problems. I
ended up changing the engine that night as a matter of fact. I'm not
sure what the problem was exactly.

Later....
Brad
AME,A&P