Re: Wind Shear Advisories

From:         dmedders@netcom.com (David Medders)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:49

Stratosfear (ecliptic@neosoft.com) wrote:
: Does everyone really "hear" the detailed reports of ATC tower controllers
: during Low Level Wind Shear Advisories? They go through these well-
: intentioned litanies for various portions of the airport while a pilot
: hangs onto the horns trying to keep the airplane aimed at the runway.
: Yet do these reports register useful information or distract from
: the task at hand?

Hearing "Wind shear alert..." is enough to get my attention.  The LLWAS
sensors are so widely spaced it is a minor miracle they even catch a wind
shear event.  TDWR appears to be great improvement over LLWAS.  I do not
know the current implementation plan for it.

BTW, "Deviations approved as necessary..." from ATC is another statement
one hates to hear.

Cheers,
David