Re: anti-misting additive for jet fuel to avoid explosion in crashes

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:42

On 15 Apr 95 11:38:22 , jetbldr <jetbldr.seanet.com@kaleka.seanet.com> said:

j> Several years ago PBS did a documentary titled "Why Planes Burn".
j> It had some spectacular footage of the 720 crash that you
j> mentioned.  What happened was that as the plane approached the
j> ground, it rolled slightly and a wingtip hit the ground.  The plane
j> then twisted to maybe a 45 degree angle before it hit a set of
j> barriers that had been set up to tear into the wing tanks. There
j> was a spectacular fireball and little has been mentioned since
j> about using the anti-misting compound in jetliners.

I was standing in the viewing area, just outside the control room,
with all the guys from the company making the AMK (anti-misting
kerosene).  It was a total disaster and I've rarely felt worse for any
group of people.  They had such high hopes and such good intentions.

Although the test didn't go as planned, if the AMK had worked in any
way like it was hoped, the fireball wouldn't have occurred.

It seems to me that the water-misting system that has been
demonstrated in the UK has a much better payoff in terms of passenger
safety.  It's also a lot less complicated, since it uses just a water
tank and a bunch of highish-output misters.  The AMK system had to
have devices that made the jelled fuel in the tanks fluid enough that
it could be pumped to the engines.
--
Mary Shafer                                             DoD #362 KotFR
SR-71 Chief Engineer   NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA