Re: MD-11 range

From:         geohull@ditell.com (George Hull)
Date:         20 Apr 95 01:51:41

In article <airliners.1995.421@ohare.Chicago.COM>, wb8foz@netcom.com
(David Lesher) wrote:

> ISTM that the first revenue MD-11's were being used in ?SFO to
> Tokyo? service, but could not perform as sold. As a result, they had to
> make a fuel stop enroute. McD was paying the carrier for every such
> stop.
>
> Did they ever resolve this problem? What's the current status of -11's?

My understanding is that _all_ of the very long range airliners are having
some problem performing up to expectations.  My airline flies the MD-11
and has had a continuing process of performance upgrades and operational
tweaks applied to try to actually get the job done.  There have been a lot
of enroute fuel stops, some planned, and some required after departure due
to adverse winds.

Apparently the long-range 747s are also restricted somewhat.  I gather
that none of the long-legged airplanes are able to fly to max range with a
full load.  It's a real stretch to fly from LAX to HGK carrying a full
load of people into a seasonal headwind.

In any case, the problems haven't been fully resolved yet.

Geo.