Re: [Q] normal practice if an engine fail @ t.o.?

From:         chuanga@iia.org (Andrew Chuang)
Date:         16 Jan 95 21:39:07

garylapook@delphi.com wrote:
:
: I don't know what the law is in Australia, but in the U.S. the FAA
: would bust a pilot for this, and have.

The reason the news was reported because the Australian authority
was investigating the incidence to see if the Cathay pilot properly
handled the situation.

I just read about another inflight shutdown.  This time it is on an Air
China Boeing 767 flying from Xiamen (off the Southern coast of China,
approximately one hour north of Hong Kong) to Singapore.  One engine
failed at 35,000 ft over the South China Sea and was shut down.  The
pilot flew under the power of the other engine for over 170 minutes and
safely landed at Singapore's Changi Airport.  (Very close to the 180-minute
ETOPS rating, but I don't know if Air China's B767 has the 180-minute ETOPS
rating.)  IMHO, this is simply outrageous: Hong Kong, Guangzhou, or Hainan
Island should be very close to where the aircraft first experienced the
engine failure.  In the news article that I read, the pilot was praised
for his "skillfullness".  I have a slight reservation about Cathay's
incidence in Australia, but I think Air China incidence is totally
unacceptable.  Do you think the Air China pilot made the right decision?

         |  H Andrew Chuang    chuanga@iia.org  |