Re: TAROM A310 accident

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         13 Apr 95 10:46:54

>As I can remember, A310 and A300 are very different. A300 is a A310-B?
>with much more electronic than an A310 which is a classic airliner.

You've got it backwards.  As suggested by the numeric order, the A300
was the original Airbus aircraft, first flown October 28, 1972.  The
first two aircraft were A300B1 models and had a very conventional
flight deck with a three-member crew, not particularly different from
the comtemporaneous 747, DC-10, and L-1011 in terms of electronics.

The early production versions of the A300 were about 8.5 feet longer
and came in two general flavors, the short-range A300B2 and medium-
range A300B4.  Many other variants were proposed but not built, while
the B10 proposal became the A310 and the B11 proposal evolved into the
TA11 and finally appeared as the A340.

After the B2 and B4, the next significant development was a version
with a two-man crew, known by Airbus as the Forward-Facing Crew Cockpit
(FFCC).  The first example, for Garuda, first flew October 6, 1981, and
lacked CRTs, placing it just slightly below the 767 on the high-tech
scale and well short of the A320.  Later A300 deliveries had somewhat
more sophisticated two-man flight decks.

The A310 came next, which first flew on April 3, 1982.  This was a
shortened A300 with a new wing (designed by British Aerospace, whose
wing technology was significantly more advanced than the other Airbus
members but was excluded from the A300 program because of politics),
a new horizontal stabilizer, and a revised aft fuselage which added to
the available cabin space.  The A310 also included a new "glass"
cockpit, albeit still with conventional controls, like the 767 and not
like the fly-by-wire A320.

The last major development, at least to date, was the A300-600 (the
A300B4-600 to be precise).  First flown on July 8, 1983, this aircraft
has a 21 in. fuselage plug behind the wing plus the roomier rear
fuselage section from the A310, along with the A310's new horizontal
stabilizer.  The basic A300 wing is still used, but with many refine-
ments, the most visible of which is the inclusion of wingtip fences
(the Airbus term for "winglets") on all but the first few A300-600s.
The flight deck was further improved from previous A300s, though it
falls just short of the sophistication of the A310.

>A300 is the prototype of the A320 series (A320-A330-A340-A319-A321).

No more so than the 707 is the prototype of the 777.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls