Re: What really is a 'Jumbo'?

From:         ricarena@cpcug.org (Eric Hagerstrom)
Date:         13 Apr 95 10:46:53

Marc Richard Wollemborg <mrw13@columbia.edu> wrote:

>I've always held the opinion that only 747s are Jumbos; but I have read
>several articles in which other wide-body passenger jets (such as the
>A300, 767, etc.) are referred to as "jumbo jets".

"Jumbo"  was coined in the late sixties by the popular culture & media
to describe behemoths that would soon descend upon airports and
disgorge teeeming masses into terminals.  At that time the aircraft
referred to were the 747, DC-10 and L-1011.   I think we can retire
the word as archaic like "microcomputer" or "letter-quality printer"
or "color TV".