Re: Loss of an engine

From:         sikcol@rcinet.utc.com (Christopher Lowenstein)
Date:         03 Jan 95 01:40:39

In article <airliners.1994.1799@ohare.Chicago.COM> eph72385@Rosie.UH.EDU writes:

>I am curious how a crew, most notably the pilots, could not
>notice the loss of an engine in flight.

>Are there not sufficient warning systems for engines that
>would go off if an engine were to come off?  Somthing
>like a loss of oil pressure, unstable fuel flow, leaking
>hydraulic fluid, something?  Turbine speed?  Temperatures?

Phil-
In the referenced thread, the pilots _knew_ they had a catastrophic engine
malfunction.  They did not know, however, that the engine had departed the
airframe.  In a massive engine failure, especially uncontained ones, all
the engine indicators ie: temps, pressures, speeds, EPR, etc, will likely go
off-scale.  So in some cases, the crew may not know if the engine failed
completely and remained attached, or if it actually departed the airframe.

-Reminds me of a memo I once got..."the aircraft was passing through 8000
feet, when the Number 1 engine flamed out.  A normal cross-start was made,
and the engine returned to base."