Re: PW4060

From:         geohull@ditell.com (George Hull)
Date:         07 Apr 95 03:09:13

In article <airliners.1995.344@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dgrose@via.at (Dale
Grose) wrote:

> I have a couple of questions relating to the PW4060 installation on the
> B767-300er.

> 1.  Cruise limit EPR.  How is this determined?

It is computed by the Thrust Management Computer and, alternately, by the
FADEC, I think.  The final backup computer is the copilot with his book of
performance data.  The PW4060 is also used at our company on non-ER
767-300 aircraft.  They put out a lot of power for domestic operations and
the use of normal thrust requires a logbook writeup . . but is never
necessary for normal domestic operations.

> 2.  Early PW engine installations(JT8D) on Boeing & Douglas aeroplanes where
> designed so that in the event of an engine seizure the engine would
> depart the structure.  I understand that the philosophy now is to leave
> the engine "on the wing"for the B767.  Could somebody please confirm this!

That one I can't help with . . but the information would be very
interesting to me.

George