Re: Hush Kits

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         31 Mar 95 02:41:28

	The state of the art in hush kits seems to be to first mix the
core and bypass flow internally before then mixing this flow with
external air drawn into a shroud.  The idea is to get as much mixing
before releasing the exhaust flow.  Also, on JT8D aircraft, there is an
Inlet Guide Vane (IGV) respacing change made to reduce inlet tones.

	I worked on the Sound Solutions 737 hush kit, which is RIP now.
It was similar to Nordam's, but our shroud retracted after take-off.
Besides the standard IGV mod, we used the P&W mod 3 mixer to mix core and
bypass and then we had a 14(?) lobe mixer for exhaust and external
mixing.  As I noted, our shroud was only back aft of the mixer for
take-off and landing and the thrust reverser was integral with the
shroud.  Nordam's shroud is fixed and they suffer a cruise fuel burn
penalty because of this.  They use the stock 737 (DC-9) thrust reverser
which is bolted on to the aft end of their shroud.