Re: DC-10s

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         27 Mar 95 01:29:49

I got into a discussion about the external appearance of DC-10s recently,
and found out something interesting.  While they -10's may indeed be
generally "homogenous" there *are* some differences.  The external
appearance of the airplane is, at first glance, the same on all models
except for the length of the wing and the 3rd leg on the main gear,
right?  Wrong...  Check the wing/body fairing, both forward and aft of
the wing, and the stabilizer root fairing scabbed on the fuselage.  Just
about every one you see is different!  The -10 started out with only a
wing/body fairing aft of the wing.  It terminated about 1/2 way between
the trailing edge and the front of the stabilizer.  On the -30 it was
extended back to a point almost even with the rear door.  The stab
fairing was made pointier at the front end, almost touching the aft door
also.  Later, a forward wing/body fairing was added which looks much like
that on the MD-80 in that it projects well forward of the wing and well
above the wing chord plane.

Apparently all this was done in order to "tweak" the range performance of
the airplane.  I thought you could definitely tell a -10 from a -30 by
looking at this fairing, but it just ain't so.  I have a photo of a
Western -10 (confirmed by the lack of a 3rd gear leg and the N number)
which has all three -30 type fairings.  I'm told it depends entirely on
where the airplane fell in the production run as to which type of
fairings it has.  As they were developed, they were applied to all the
subsequent airplanes rolling down the line.

My $.02 worth...

Jennings Heilig