Re: Engine hush kits

From:         waterwda@elec.canterbury.ac.nz (Dave Waterworth)
Date:         27 Mar 95 01:29:49

In article <airliners.1995.309@ohare.Chicago.COM>, showie@uoguelph.ca
says...
>I've asked unsuccessfully on rec.travel.air about what is involved in
>installing the so-called "hush kits" on jet engines. Could someone
>(Andrew?) enlighten me as to what makes up one of these kits, and how
>they actually reduce engine noise.

I can't answer your question, but about one month ago Air New Zealand
grounded its entire fleet of hush kitted 737-200's (10 aircraft)
following three turbine blade failures. The reason for the blade failures
is unknown, but the failures occurred in turbines which were fitted with
reconditioned blades. The groundings left ANZ with only 3 operational
planes for domestic use. Three 737's were leased from Air Nauru, Air
Pacific and Air Polynesia, and a 757 leased from Air Britannia to cover
the loss. Most of the hush kitted planes have now been returned to
service with new blades.

Dave