Re: 747 question

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         22 Mar 95 02:34:23

In article <airliners.1995.272@ohare.Chicago.COM> ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu (ZACHARY R. TOMCICH) writes:
>I'm a writer and I have some basic questions about a 747, or any wide
>body aircraft for that matter, for a story I'm writing.
>
>When an aircraft is parked and totally abondoned how does one get in and
>out?  Is there a nose gear hatchet or must they use a stair truck to board
>and disembark?

There is an avionics compartment underneath the first class section.
It leads to a hatch which is located near the left second-row seat forward
of door L-1, underneath the rug.  Entry can be attempted that way.  Otherwise,
airstairs are preferable.

>Secondly are the emergancy slides a reflex system that will operate
>whenever a door is opened or does it have a arming switch?

The doors have an arming lever with two settings: "Auto" and "Manual."
That's what the "Doors to auto" PA announcement to the flight attendants is
about.  If you open a door in auto, the slides will deploy.

Older aircraft (non-747) have tug-bars which have to be put into place.  Much
more primitive, when the doors are opened, the slide deploys; the bars anchor
the slide.  I saw one of these go off in an airplane once (707 in Paris).

>And finally when these aircraft are in drydock- presumablly for good-
>what sort of security is around them?

Security?  Ask the kids who broke Heathrow security right after Lockerbie,
and partied on 747s just coming out of maintenance. :-)

>If anyone has
>any technical data on the systems on board an aircraft-

There are some children's books which are pretty good, lots of color pictures.
The Time-Life series edition on flight has an easy-to-read overview on
systems and theory.  And Stewart Davis' _Fly the Big Jets_ is oriented toward
passengers.

Most books emphasize the 747; it seems to have some special appeal with
readers.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av