Re: 747 question

From:         fmcdave@aol.com (FMCDave)
Date:         22 Mar 95 02:34:23

Tomcich writes:
>I'm a writer and I have some basic questions about a 747, or any wide
>body aircraft for that matter, for a story I'm writing.

>When an aircraft is parked and totally abondoned how does one get in and
>out?  Is there a nose gear hatchet or must they use a stair truck to
>board and disembark?

I believe the only way in or out is through the stair truck through one of
the main cabin doors.

>Secondly are the emergancy slides a reflex system that will operate
>whenever a door is opened or does it have a arming switch?

The doors are armed by securing a rod from the pack on the door to the
floor.  These are armed in flight and disarmed upon rollout.  Note:  Not
all slides will deploy when activated...they have a 5-10% failure rate.

>-Ziggy

Good luck on your book