Re: Inflight entertainment

From:         bareynol@cca.rockwell.com (Brian A. Reynolds)
Date:         22 Mar 95 02:34:23

In article <airliners.1995.164@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kens@ncd.com (Ken Stoorza) writes:
> I flew first class on Delta from Taipei to Seoul the other week. They had the
> individual LCD screens that swing out of the seat arm. Quality was pretty good;
> usually I don't watch inflight movies because the video and sound quality are so
> poor. There were several channels of video entertainment to choose from. If I
> were on a long flight, I would probably use this feature. Of course, since I
> usually fly business class and not first, it's probably achedemic anyway.

The use of 'to the seat' entertainment is considered as a revenue
generator (or potential generator) for airlines.  During a previous
job I meet with one airline who said 'We are the only industry who
holds are customers captive for eight hours and don't try and sell
them anything.' Look for in-flight shopping to become more 'popular'
as the industry grows the capability to 1) offer delivery at the
arrival gate (this is a real biggie from the airlines perspective as
they can sell the merchandise without having to pay for the fuel to
carry it - however duties/tariffs are an interesting legal issue) 2)
the public gets used to video malls (training via QVC/Home Shopping
Channels on cable).

Another direction is inflight rebooking/reticketing in order to keep a
passenger within your system.  Expect to see inflight gambling (I
think that Virgin already offers this).  Think of the revenue which
could be generated by a charter airline providing video poker/slot
machines while flying to Los Vegas or Atlantic City?

As to-the-seat entertainment adds about 6-8 pounds (as I recall) per
seat group plus a couple of pounds per seat (this is system installed
weight), the airlines will have to show how enhanced passenger
entertainment is at worst revenue neutral due to this weight penelty.
But once each seat has a credit card reader then the skies the limit!

regards.. Brian
The views expressed are my own and not those of Rockwell Collins and are based on experience during previous employment.