Re: 747 forced ocean landings -- survival odds

From:         lmnp1@eng.cam.ac.uk (L.M.N. Peiris)
Date:         12 Jan 95 01:56:05

In article <airliners.1995.9@ohare.Chicago.COM>, sharam@ole.cdac.com (Sean Namazi) writes:
> In article <airliners.1994.1794@ohare.Chicago.COM> Albert Thomas Bozzo <bozzo@wam.umd.edu> writes:

> >In one, a JAL DC-8 landed well short (miles) of SFO ...

> It was my understanding that The China Air 747-400 which ran out of
> runway in Hong Kong (Kaitak?) and ended in the bay was declared
> totalled due to immersion in salt water ...

About two years ago, an Air France 747-400 ditched into the ocean off the
runway in Tahiti, after an asymmetric deployment of the fan reverser during
the landing run. In this incident only the nose bay was flooded destroying
the forward electronic systems. However, the aircraft was not declared unusable.

Reply to: lmnp1@eng.cam.ac.uk