Re: 747 forced ocean landings -- survival odds

From:         alaw@us.oracle.com (Alvin Law)
Date:         12 Jan 95 01:56:05

In article <airliners.1995.9@ohare.Chicago.COM> sharam@ole.cdac.com (Sean Namazi) writes:
> In article <airliners.1994.1794@ohare.Chicago.COM> Albert Thomas Bozzo <bozzo@wam.umd.edu> writes:

> >a JAL DC-8 landed well short (miles) of SFO ... The aircraft was extracted
> >from the mud, found to be in good condition despite over two days of salt
> >water immersion, and was repaired and returned to service, as I recall.

> It was my understanding that The China Air 747-400 which ran out of
> runway in Hong Kong (Kaitak?) and ended in the bay was declared
> totalled due to immersion in salt water, despite being in very good
> shape otherwise.  So my question is: what was really different in
> the case of the JAL incident at SFO?  Also, what are the deciding
> factors in such cases?

To quickly answer your question, the water in Victoria Harbour is very
different than the water in the San Francisco Bay; it's much dirtier.
With all four engines already submerged in the dirty sea water for a
few days, I think it is a smart move to write off the whole plane.

--
| Alvin Law .. Project Leader, Applications Division ... Oracle Corporation |
|  Email: alaw@us.oracle.com ..... Voice: 415.506.8317 . Fax: 415.506.7299  |