Re: TB spread through aircraft air

From:         jimh@eskimo.com (Jim Hogan)
Date:         14 Mar 95 02:34:35

rna@gsb-mailhost.stanford.edu says...
>I'm cross posting this to sci.aeronautics.airliners, because you've
>made it a technical question (followups to s.a.a).  I have a tough
>time believing that getting sufficient fresh air into the cabin
>to have 100% fresh air would be a problem.  I can understand it
>might cost a little more, but other than that, what is the technical
>problem?

The main problem is the limited supply of high pressure engine bleed air.
I'm not a propulsion type, so bear with me...
In a high bypass engine, about 75 % of the air bypasses the engine core.
The remaining 25% that travels through the combustor and high pressure
stages provides the power to drive the low pressure compressor that
imparts it's energy on the bypass air (and consequently provides the
majority of the engine's thrust).  This high pressure air is also bled
from the engine to power the air conditioning packs and provides the
thermal anti-icing functions on the wing leading edge and engine cowls.
Due to the pressures and temperatures required to run the AC packs, only
air bled from the core of the engine is suitable.

This is the crux of the problem - the more bleed we take, the less thrust
the engines produce, and the less fuel efficient they become.  The
penalty of bleed air can not be taken lightly - when looking at aircraft
stretches, we find that the increased bleed necessary to bump cabin
inflows enough to meet pressurization requirements can often be the make
or break factor in whether or not the existing engine is "big" enough -
not the increased weight of the fuselage.

As far as the recirc vs. no recirc argument, there is really no
detriment to recirculated air.  I have spent a great deal of time working
on this issue and can elaborate if there is interest.

Jim