747 question

From:         ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu (ZACHARY R. TOMCICH)
Date:         14 Mar 95 02:34:34
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

I'm a writer and I have some basic questions about a 747, or any wide
body aircraft for that matter, for a story I'm writing.

When an aircraft is parked and totally abondoned how does one get in and
out?  Is there a nose gear hatchet or must they use a stair truck to board
and disembark?

Secondly are the emergancy slides a reflex system that will operate
whenever a door is opened or does it have a arming switch?

And finally when these aircraft are in drydock- presumablly for good-
what sort of security is around them?

I'm writing a story about the magical life of pre-teenage kids- kind of
your stand by me sort of story.  I'm toying with the idea that they
are exploring an aircraft graveyard.  I'm most curious about them
myself.  Perhaps i should visit one before i presue this.  If anyone has
any technical data on the systems on board an aircraft- just little
things that can help me out as far as what one would see on board a
ditched aircraft- please lemme know.  thanks.

--
-Ziggy
Last of the Zigatarian Zigmeisters