Re: Answers to the quiz

From:         nordstrom@esa.lanl.gov (Carl Nordstrom)
Date:         08 Mar 95 02:59:51

In article <airliners.1995.216@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

> I remember seeing the GE UDF testbed (DC-9-80 #1) at Mojave, sans UDF
> engine but with an *extremely* long pylon on that side.
>
> The P&W/Allison propfan, however, tested on a 727-100.  As far as I
> know it was never put on any flavor of DC-9 as well.

The PW/Allison engine (designated the 578 DX, I believe) only flew on a
DC-9.  At that particular time, there was quite a cost/technology risk
trade study going within the airlines and aircraft manufacturers, and
propfan technology was judged too immature for consideration, so the stint
on the Boeing aircraft was cancelled (GE did test on both though, I
believe).  However, the flight test program for the PW/Allison engine went
almost perfectly, with the full design flight envelope of the engine being
tested on the aircraft.  At some point in the future, propfans will be
back, since the fuel savings are just too great...  BTW, the *extremely*
long pylon you saw was no doubt for the PW/Allison engine.  It was
unbelievably long.

Carl Nordstrom
nordstrom@esa.lanl.gov