Re: "Falling from the Sky" nitpicks

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         08 Mar 95 02:59:51

musjndx@gsusgi2.gsu.edu says...

>Also, why in hell did everyone run out the back door when the forward
>cabin door was *open* with slide chute deployed ?  Did this occur in the
>actual event ?   Seems silly for the crew to climb back up the rear
>chute (which was *very* steep) when they could practically step inside
>the forward door with the front gear collapsed ...

While I don't know why people egressed the way they did in the
movie, my fire service experience has taught me that people do
VERY strange things in panic situations. For example, in airliner
incidents, people have been found inside the hulls, people who
probably could have survived the crash, but who apparently failed
to exit because the door through which they entered was unusable.

This sort of behaviour is seen in building fires as well; human
nature plays a great role in how people react to unusual
situations.