Re: Thrust reversers

From:         dzulbas@merlion.singnet.com.sg (dzul)
Date:         03 Mar 95 02:27:50

Lakshmi N. Chilukuri (lchiluku@ucsd.edu) wrote:
: Why do we need thrust reversers? The FAA requires aircraft to be able to
: land safely, without using thrust reversers, even on slippery or icy
: runways. Common wisdom is that thrust reversers help reduce wear and tear
: on brakes.

The max landing weight of the B744 is about 245,000 kgs. Landing at that
weight without reverse thrust on a warm day will take a long time to
'turn around' the aircraft. That is the brakes will be too hot for
another takeoff, eventhough if the next flight leaves after an hour.

i am who i am but i am not my company spokesman