Re: 747-400F

From:         chuanga@iia.org (Andrew Chuang)
Date:         03 Mar 95 02:27:49

Robert Ashcroft (rna@gsb-mailhost.stanford.edu) wrote:

: Speaking of the 747-400F, Boeing used the old 747 top, i.e. it
: ditched the stretched upper deck.

: I've wondered about what a 747-400F would be like with a stretched
: upper deck devoted to passengers.  It would be sort of like one of
: those cruising cargo ships that have a small number of passenger
: cabins.

I believe this thread has been discussed in this group before.  I know
Cargolux used to carry passengers on the upper deck between Taipei and
Luxembourg back in the late 70s.  However, at that time, it was the only
direct flight between Taipei and Europe.  Cargo flights are usually
operated during "inhumane" hours.  Unless the tickets are dirt cheap,
very few people would be interested in such a flight.  With dirt-cheap
tickets, cargo operators won't improve their revenue by carrying paxs.
For international flights, there are different quota for cargo and
passenger flights as allowed by the bilaterals.  It can turn into an
air war, if a cargo airline, like FedEx, decides to carry passengers on
its trans-oceanic flights.

: I very much doubt that Boeing would ever make such a beast, but I
: wonder what the economics are like.  You can fit a decent number
: of passengers in the stretched upper deck.  You could see it as
: a Combi with a huge freight fraction.  (have they made -400 Combis
: yet?)

There are quite a few -400 Combis around: Air China, Asiana, EVA, Korean,
Malaysia, Air France, KLM, Air Canada, and Kuwait (?) all have  the
-400 Combis.

         |  H Andrew Chuang    chuanga@iia.org  |