Re: 747-400F

From:         shafer@news.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         03 Mar 95 02:27:49
Followups:    1 2 3

On 28 Feb 95 22:57:36 , rna@gsb-mailhost.stanford.edu (Robert Ashcroft) said:

RNA> Speaking of the 747-400F, Boeing used the old 747 top, i.e. it
RNA> ditched the stretched upper deck.

RNA> I've wondered about what a 747-400F would be like with a
RNA> stretched upper deck devoted to passengers.  It would be sort of
RNA> like one of those cruising cargo ships that have a small number
RNA> of passenger cabins.

RNA> Getting people in and out of the upper deck might be a bitch,
RNA> however.

The 90-second evacuation requirement is the real limitation, I think.

I do know that the gossip when 747s entered commercial service was
that the airlines weren't willing to bet too much on it working and
that was why the original 747 upper decks didn't have revenue seats in
them.  Rather, they were lounges.  Bars, card tables, live
entertainment.  Those of you who've only flown since deregulation
don't know what you've missed.

--
Mary Shafer                                                   DoD #362 KotFR
SR-71 Chief Engineer         NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA