Ditching

From:         ak336@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John Dill)
Date:         12 Jan 95 01:56:04

Way back in 1960 my Navy patrol squadron made a bit of history:

We were flying a P2V Neptune in the Sea of Japan on a long patrol
and the crew was forced to shut down first one reciprocating engine,
and then the other (R3350 Turbo-Compound). Using the under-wing jets
(J34) the plane continued to fly until shortly before all fuel was
exhausted and then made a controlled water landing.

The P2V had empty fuel tanks (self sealing btw) and floated nicely,
in fact, after the crew was picked up by a Grumman Albatross the Navy
sent out a tug, towed the damn thing to port and the plane was refurbished
and flew again!

Thereafter our Squadron motto was:

IN THE AIR, ON THE LAND, AND IN THE SEA!

(VP-6, Barbers Point, Ha.)

John
--
"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full!"