Thrust reversers

From:         lchiluku@ucsd.edu (Lakshmi N. Chilukuri)
Date:         28 Feb 95 22:57:35
Followups:    1 2 3

Why do we need thrust reversers? The FAA requires aircraft to be able to
land safely, without using thrust reversers, even on slippery or icy
runways. Common wisdom is that thrust reversers help reduce wear and tear
on brakes.

Does anyone have a feel for the cost of wheel brakes? Is there a move to
reduce these costs? Do these costs outweigh the risks associated with
potential in-flight deploy of thrust reversers?

Could a pilot or other expert please enlighten me about an operator's
perspective on these matters. This matter should be debate-worthy, since
the Lauda Air 767 crash (in Thailand) was initiated by inadvertent thrust
reverser deploy.

					Krish Chilukuri
					Aerodynamics Group Leader
					Rohr Inc, San Diego