Flight Operations...Crew Nationalities

From:         "Jon H." <jon46@ix.netcom.com@ix.netcom.com>
Date:         29 Dec 95 22:22:24

During the 1970's and 80's I was an Aircraft Dispatcher/Flight Operations
Officer for a MAJOR European flag carrier at New York's JFK...It was the
avowed policy of our local "bean counters" to engage us in any
moneymaking operations "pooling" arrangement conceivable. In essence we
were "rent a signature" dispatchers for some of the cream of
Central, South American and West African airline companies. Without
appropriating the next two years worth of bandwidth, trust me....If you
think jumping on Aeromexico to MEX or Air Afrique to DKR is the same as
jumping on United to ORD or British to LHR because of some vague
wooshy washy ICAO specs. about aircraft/crew and flight control
requirements please think again...Required reading for this subject is a
book called "Destination Disaster". It is about the Turkish DC10 disaster
outside Orly in 1974..Although almost 20 years old now it is still the
best book on the politics of building and SELLING transport aircraft
and in particular how this equipment is integrated into the operations
of an airline trying to rapidly expand into the 20th century.