Re: Virgin's 747s: emergency escape markings

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         29 Dec 95 22:22:22

OK, we've established that the "cut here" markings are national rules that vary
from country to country. We've established that they deliniate an area without
much wiring/ducting where it is easier to cut.

The only type of incident where these marking would be of use that I can think
of is if the airliner crashes in snow, stays in one piece and is completely
burried in snow. I can imagine the snow crews digging down and reaching the
roof and seiing the markings , bringing down chain saw and opening the square,
drop down a ladder and evacuate all 400 passengers one by one. (ok, I've seen
too many movies, so add in the St-Bernards with their bottles of whiskey
helping rescued passengers stay warm :-)

OK, perhaps if fuselage is lying on its side, it is easier to evacuate through
the roof than through the exits. But if this happens, what are the odds that
the fuselage is still in ONE piece ?

I am still wondering about the types of accidents where cutting through
fuselage would be necessary. Are there any specific situations one could
describe ?