AA 757 Crash

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         29 Dec 95 22:22:21

I just had to post this after listening to the latest information on
CNN.  This is simply stupifying to me.... two experienced AA flightcrew
members, both of whom had flown the Cali approach numerous times, both of
whom (presumably) were type rated in the 757...and they weren't even
using the checklists???  Egad...I don't even fly a Cessna 152 without
using a checklist!  Apparently they had already flown past a VOR when
they tuned it and directed the aircraft toward it...the airplane duly
turned around and headed back toward the navaid, and that apparently is
when they realized their mistake(s) and tried to fix things.
Unfortunately it appears that the mountain was in the way.

This is very disturbing if it's all true.  To be sure, there is a long
way to go in the investigation, but when Robert Crandall is issuing
statements appologizing for the apparent human error involved at this
early stage, it doesn't bode well for AA...

Jennings Heilig