Re: Virgin 747 birdstrike

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         27 Dec 95 21:43:55

In article <airliners.1995.1987@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

> United's 767-322(ER)s have PW4060 engines,
> not quite the same, but very close.  I believe it's a fairly simple
> mod to convert one to the other, and United could swap them, pylon and
> all, since Boeing designed all three 747-400 pylon/nacelle versions
> (GE, PW, and RR) to be interchangeable with those on newer 767s.

The Pratt & Whitney engines UAL and other airlines use on their 767s are
virtually identical to the engines they use on their 747s.  The primary
thing that differentiates a 747 engine from a 767 engine is the fuel
control unit, the "black box" that monitors and controls the engine
functions.  United keeps only one engine type "in stock" for their 767/747
fleet.  The airplane type is called out on each shop order for a
replacement engine, the appropriate fuel control unit is installed along
with a few other items, and the engine is sent out to the shop for
installation.  The pylons on the 767 and 747 are not identical or
interchangeable.  One of the greatest challenges faced by Boeing's
engineers on the 767 was how to mount a 747-size engine under the 767's
wing while maintaining adequate ground clearance without the penalty of
undue drag or airflow interference.  If you look at a 767, you'll see the
engine is tucked up much closer to the wing than on a 747.  The lessons
learned have been incorporated into the planes that came later- the
737-300,400, and 500, and the 777.

C. Marin Faure
Video Services, The Boeing Company
author, Flying A Floatplane