Re: Virgin 747 birdstrike

From:         Ian Judge <ian@judgei.demon.co.uk>
Date:         27 Dec 95 21:43:53

Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
: >Interesting. There was mention that an engine in a 747 could also be in
: >use on a twin with ETOPS.

: Don't take that too literally -- in most cases they would be slightly
: different variants of the engine.  For example, the United 747-422 I
: was on had PW4056 engines.  United's 767-322(ER)s have PW4060 engines,
: not quite the same, but very close.  I believe it's a fairly simple
: mod to convert one to the other, and United could swap them, pylon and
: all, since Boeing designed all three 747-400 pylon/nacelle versions
: (GE, PW, and RR) to be interchangeable with those on newer 767s.

BA 747-436 from about the seventh aircraft ( IIRC ) were equiped with
RB211-xxxH engines ( xxx = I can't remember the number :) ) which are
identical to the 767 engine except for one pneumatic valve

: It hadn't occured to me that there would be an ETOPS issue with the
: 747, but the pilots explained it to me while grousing about all the
: extra paperwork they had to do.

BA used the hours gained on the 747 engine towards the ETOPS requirements.

--
Ian Judge
ian@judgei.demon.co.uk