Re: First 757 crash (and first AA fatality since 1979)

From:         l7matt7@aol.com (L7Matt7)
Date:         27 Dec 95 21:43:47

On the local news here in Seattle I saw some footage of the wreckage and
noticed a part of the fuselage that had the registration number on it.
N651AA
My outdated 92/93 issue of JP airline-fleets international says this
aircraft was manufactured 7/91 and delivered 8/91. c/n 24609, s/n 390.
RB211-535E4-B engines.  Most people who read this probably own this book,
but if you don't then you need to go buy a copy!  This info. is also
available on disk as a database from Bucher & Co..  Does any one have any
idea about what happened ?  The news here said that the pilot pulled up
when he saw the mountain.  How could the aircraft get so far off course?
I wonder if pilot fatigue was a factor... Maybe the pilots woke up when
the Ground Proximity Warning System warning horn sounded.  I also wonder
if there was a problem with the ILS system at the airport.
The pilots may have been attempting to intercept the localizer, but maybe
the localizer was not in operation. Hopefully we'll learn something
soon...