Re: prop airliners (was Re: Airbus 3XX on the telly

From:         caf@omen.com (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX)
Date:         27 Dec 95 21:43:46

Jeffrey Hacker  <jhacker@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>In <airliners.1995.2026@ohare.Chicago.COM> tim@me.rochester.edu

>>I'm a bit too young to have any experience on larger prop planes,
>>were they comfortable? the antique "restoration" airliners
>>I've walked through seem rather luxurious, 4 abreast, big
>>windows, real aisles.

>I never flew a Britannia.  I was pretty young in those days <g>.  But I
>have flown the Lockheed Electra, DC6B, DC7(including DC7B and DC7C),
>and Lockheed Constallation.  They were all nice airplanes, but the
>Electra was particularly nice.  I keep telling myself I want to fly up
>to Alaska so I can fly one on Reeve Aleutian or to the Northern
>Territory in Canada on First Air (if they still have them) before they
>are gone.  Lots of room, even in coach.  But somewhat rougher than a
>jet.

I used to fly Electras in the early 60's going to and from
college.  They gave an interesting ride in rough weather as
their wings shuddered when they hit turbulence.  This was
exciting because their wings were falling off.  It was a relief
to ride a DC-3 for the ORD-MSN leg of the trip.

I don't remember how noisy the Electras were, but nowadays it
seems jets are just barely quiet and smooth enough to listen to
a CD player but commuter turboprops are not.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX     caf@omen.COM     http://www.omen.com
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, GSZ and DSZ