Re: First 757 crash (and first AA fatality since 1979)

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         21 Dec 95 14:01:42

>News reports Thursday morning are saying the plane was 13 miles off course,
>and the crash may have been due to a navigational error.  This was quoting
>a Colombian government air transport official.  It's too early to tell.

AMR chairman Robert Crandall also said "the flight path was somewhat
to the east."

>Better news is that (unconfirmed) there may be some survivors!  It will not
>be a very merry Christmas for the families of the rest, though.

Latest I've seen is 164 aboard, including 8 crew and 4 infants, with
4 or 5 survivors.  At least one reportedly had nothing more than cuts
and bruises -- pretty remarkable considering how badly the aircraft
broke up.  Largest piece apparently is on the order of a couple meters
in size.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com