Re: Virgin 747 birdstrike

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         21 Dec 95 03:33:08

>Is it really true that two-engine shutdowns can be coped with? I seem
>to recall an El Al 747 freighter that lost two engines shortly after
>take-off from Schiphol in October 1992. If memory serves, it ended up
>crashing into a residential building short of the airport while trying
>to return to it.

Your memory serves well regarding the end result.  However, that was
not simply a case of two engines shutting down -- the #3 (starboard
inner) engine separated from the wing, hitting and detaching the #4
(starboard outer) engine on its way.  I believe there was also wing
and probably hydraulic damage that hindered the pilots' ability to
control the aircraft.  They did not dump fuel, so the aircraft was
very heavy, thus even harder to control.

United flight 811 was about an hour out of Honolulu on February 24,
1989, when a forward cargo door separated from the aircraft, peeling
away a fair chunk of skin in the process.  9 passengers were ejected
and they along with other debris were sucked thru the #3 and #4
engines, which failed but did not depart the airframe.  Despite the
airframe damage and loss of two engines (on the same side), that
flight returned safely to Honolulu.  The key difference was that the
engines did not detach and damage the wing surfaces in the process.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com