Re: Question about European JAA & JARs

From:         donbikes@aol.com (Donbikes)
Date:         20 Dec 95 15:52:06

>Can anyone enlighten me about the structure of the European JAA and
>the way that JARs are elaborated (is it a top down procedure or do
>national CAA authorities have to propose new regulations before the
>JAA will consider them)? Also, how does JAA liaise with the FAA?

The European Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) are an associated body of
the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC).  There are 32 ECAC member
countries, of which 23 are members of JAA - Austria, Belgium, Denmark,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg,
Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden Switzerland, and the UK are
full members; Cyprus, Malta, Monaco, Poland, and Slovenia are candidate
members.  The Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Hungary, and Turkey have
also applied for candidate membership.

The JAA are run by the JAA Committee, which is made up of one
representative from each member state.  The Executive Board, composed of
six members from the JAA Committee, run day-to-day operations.  Broad
policy decisions and budgetary matters are handled by the JAA Board,
consisting of the Directors General of Civil Aviation of the JAA member
countries.  The JAA has a headquarters staff (based in Hoofddorp, the
Netherlands), headed by a Secretary General and composed of six divisions
-- certification, regulation, maintenance, operations, licensing, and
administration.

The JAA regulatory documents, as they are completed, are referenced in the
European Community Regulation on Harmonized Technical Standards, and
therefore become law in the EC states.  Completed regulatory documents
include certification regulations for large airplanes (JAR-25), small
airplanes (JAR-23), helicopters (JAR-27 and -29), engines (JAR-E),
auxiliary power units (JAR-APU), propellers (JAR-P), very light airplanes
(JAR-VLA), sailplanes (JAR-22), and equipment (JAR-TSO), the certification
procedures for aircraft and related products and parts (JAR-21), approved
maintenance organizations (JAR-145), operations of airplanes and
helicopters (JAR-OPS Parts 1 and 3), abbreviations and definitions
(JAR-1), and all weather operations (JAR-AWO).

Notwithstanding the above discussion of legal status of the JAR codes, the
JAA are developing a "JAA Convention" to provide a more formal legal
status.  It will enable the separate national aviation authorities to act
through the JAA as a de facto single aviation authority.

New regulations are proposed by working groups composed of representatives
of the national regulatory authorities and industry in the different
specialty areas.  The working group produces a Notice of Proposed
Amendment (NPA), which it delivers to JAA headquarters.  After review by
the JAA committee, the NPA will be circulated for public comment.  The
comments all go back to the original working group, which is charged with
developing the final rule and submitting it to the JAA Committee for
adoption.

With the increasing emphasis on harmonization of the U.S. and European
aviation regulations, the standard practice now is to create a
harmonization working group to develop harmonized regulatory standards.
Represented on that working group are the FAA, JAA, and other interested
parties (usually industry and pilots' unions).  An NPA and an FAA Notice
of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) are developed concurrently, hopefully
leading to the simultaneous adoption of harmonized regulations.  The FAA
and JAA liaise constantly at all levels to try to make this system work.

Hope this helps.

Don Stimson, FAA