Re: Booster engines

From:         dey@rintintin.Colorado.EDU (Michael E. Dey)
Date:         12 Jan 95 01:56:03

wohlsen <bob_wohlsen@qm.sri.com> wrote:
>In the '60s, Hawker Siddeley produced a stretched version of the 3-engined
>Trident that employed a 4th "boost" engine for take-offs.  Was this the
>only example of a boost engine being used on a commercial jet airliner?

A version of the DeHaviland Comet was evaluated with two extra booster
engines to be used during take-off.  I believe they were solid rockets.

They didn't put that version into production though, because new and
better Rolls Royce(?) engines became available.

--
  Michael Dey
    /Native Texan//PP-ASEL,AOPA/                  National Center for