Re: AA BDL MD-80 Incident

From:         ehahn@wren.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         20 Dec 95 15:52:05

In article <airliners.1995.1973@ohare.Chicago.COM> eemaan@aimnet.com (Ethan Schell) writes:

   In article <airliners.1995.1952@ohare.Chicago.COM>, John <johnd@en.com> wrote:

   > >> The problem
   > >> seems to be an incorrect altimeter setting/ indication problem as the
   > >> pilots were 300 ft. lower than they thought.<<<
   >
   > Altimeter settings are only updated once and hour in the Artcc's.

   According to the AIM, ATIS is updated upon the receipt of any official
   hourly and special weather (I'm assuming the tower was open). Is an
   altimeter change of .3" within one hour not significant?

====
According to the press, the tower was not in (normal) operation at the
moment, as damage to the roof was causing rain to enter the cab.  The
controllers had been evacuated from the cab.  Also, the preliminary
press reports mentioned that the tower supervisor in the cab watching
the repairs being performed had communicated with the aircraft,
although he had no authority to authorize a landing.  (I believe the
press report said that his communications were to the effect of "land
at pilots discretion".)

This being the case, I do NOT know whether the voice ATIS (not the
automated SA available by landline) had been updated as called for,
due to the abnormal situation.

Disclaimer:  I do not have first hand knowlege of any of the above
events, but only what I gleaned from press statements shortly after
the incident.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------