Re: Virgin's 747s: emergency escape markings

From:         piwh@pcmail.nerc-bas.ac.uk (Paul Whiteman)
Date:         20 Dec 95 15:52:05

In article <airliners.1995.1950@ohare.Chicago.COM> mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei) writes:
> I noticed a Virgin Atlantic 747-400....It had some markings in 2 or 3
>places, somewhat well above the windows. Thesemarkings *seemed* to indicate
>where escape would be possible

""External Break-In Markings are a legal requirement by (probably) all
regulatory authorities although the lack of them, if you can see the
outside of commercial aircraft, is quite common.  They mark positions,
given by the manufacturers, where there are no internal systems to delay
entry, or dangerous for emergency crews, into the aircraft if it proves
necessary to cut into the fuselage for access purposes, you cannot always
use the doors/emergency exits in an accident.  I think it only applies to
aircraft above 3,600kgs and/or those used for the purposes of public
transport.  Emergency Exits are also (legal requirement) marked on the
outside of the aircraft.

Hope this is of help/interest.

Regards,

Paul (Whiteman) whose views are mine and mine alone""