Re: High tech jets = High risk jets?

From:         Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk>
Date:         19 Dec 95 02:03:07

On 16 Nov 95 03:48:44 Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk> wrote:
>"The European", No. 287, 9-15th November 1995, contained the following:-
>
>         "IATA denies cover-up over air accident statistics"
>
>Business & Economics section, front page. By-line: Ian Verch\`ere
>
>Begin quote:-
>
>More than half of the 722 deaths in airline crashes last year occurred
>on aircraft employing advanced automation systems, according to the
>International Air Transport Association (IATA). In its latest annual
>report, the Geneva-based body reveals that "at least eight accidents
>and incidents were related to design features of highly-automated
>aircraft".
>
>Four of these accidents, it says, resulted in 383 fatalities and
>accounted for 53 per cent of all lives lost last year.

Just a quick question - I wonder what proportion of passenger hours/miles
are flown on "aircraft employing advanced automation systems"?  A pretty
large proportion in my opinion, especially if  the definition of "advanced
automation" includes an FMS, autopilot, autothrottle or cat IIIb autoland!

Maybe at least 53%!

Martin