Re: Virgin's 747s: emergency escape markings

From:         fmcdave@aol.com (FMCDave)
Date:         19 Dec 95 02:01:01

From: mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei) wrote
>During a recent use of Heathrow Airport, I noticed a Virgin Atlantic
>747-400.

>It had some markings in 2 or 3 places, somewhat well above the windows.
>These markings *seemed* to indicate where escape would be possible (I
>*assume* emergency crews would have to somehow punch through the skin
>to get to passengers).

<snip>

>Finally: WHY are these there ? Under what sort of conditions would rescuers
>have to cut through the fuselage in such an emergency that these markings
>would save them those valuable seconds ?

I might be able to find out the answer if I knew the following:

   o  approximate row number
   o  and what markings led you to believe that they pointed to emergency
entry points

I'm suspecting that they may be pointing to antenna provisions.  I think
that side mounted Satcom provisions are basic on the 747-400...but I would
have to check.

Dave

David Allen
FMCDave@AOL.COM