Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         18 Dec 95 15:26:10

>That is probably what will be written on the Type Certificate.
>The MD-80 is typed as a DC-9-80.  The MD-11 is, if memory serves, also
>typed as a DC-10.  Douglas saves big bucks on using the derivative
>certification process, just as Boeing does, and as Airbus wishes we all
>couldn't.  Until they do *their* stretches, that is.  :-)

If Mcdonell Douglas was still calles Douglas Commercial Aircraft The Aircraft
would still be designated as DC-?.  But since the company changed names then
it wouldn't make much sense.
The DC-9-80 was only renamed the MD-80 for this reason.

Hope this makes it all clear.

--
Brad Gillies     Bradg@io.org
WWW: http://www.io.org/~bradg/