Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         18 Dec 95 15:26:09

In article <airliners.1995.1854@ohare.Chicago.COM>, drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
> typed as a DC-10.  Douglas saves big bucks on using the derivative
> certification process, just as Boeing does, and as Airbus wishes we all
> couldn't.  Until they do *their* stretches, that is.  :-)

Based on the above, am I to understand that Airbus's introduction of the
stretched A320, called the A-321 required more certification paperwork than
Douglas' introduction of the stretched DC-10 called the MD-11 ?

Would a stretched 737 bearing the name 737-xxx require less
paperwork/certification simply because the word "737" is still used in the
product's name ???? If Airbus hhad named the stretched A320 A320-400, instead
of A321, would this have saved Airbus some certification work ????